From DLA to PIP
• Personal Independence Payment will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people of working age from April 2013.
• Awards will be based on the
-individual circumstances of the person claiming
-impact of their disability / health condition
-extent to which they are able to live independently and participate in society .
A basic timeline
Personal Independence Payment is being introduced in stages:
• April 2013: Initially take a few thousand new claims in areas including Merseyside, North West England, Cumbria, Cheshire and North East England. During this period new claimants in all other parts of the country will continue to claim Disability Living Allowance as now.
• June 2013: New claims from all claimants in all parts of the country.
• Oct 2013: Begin to reassess about 30,000 mostly randomly selected existing DLA cases.
• Jan 2014: Full national reassessment likely to begin.
• March 2016: All current DLA claimants of working age will have been contacted about claiming Personal Independence Payment.
Key elements of Personal Independence Payment
* Personal Independence Payment is made up of a Daily Living component and a Mobility component. Awards will be made up of one or both of these components.
* Each component will have ONLY two rates: standard and enhanced.
* The amount for each is still to be decided.
Which components or rates claimants will be entitled to will be based on an assessment of individuals' circumstances and their ability to carry out a range of key everyday activities.
The assessment process
* Will involve health professionals considering the evidence provided by the claimant and any professional that may support them on a regular basis. Most people will also be asked to a face to face consultation with this health professional as part of the claim process.
Where to get more information
* There are briefing notes about Personal Independence Payment to set out the key elements of policy and delivery. All these notes can be found at: www.dwp.gov.uk/pip
* There is a list of frequently asked questions, including some 'myth busters' at: www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/personal-independence-payment-faqs.pdf
* Look out for regular updates in Touchbase: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/touchbase-magazine/
* Regular updates will also be available in the Senior Stakeholder Bulletin: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/dwp-stakeholder-bulletin/
Life Time Award? Even if you have been awarded DLA for life, you will be reassessed.There will be no gap in payments. You will be contacted well in advance.
Please be aware that at this stage DWP are not completely aware of the PIP process, the mobility element of PIP, the assessment itself, how often it will be reviewed, and the technical details and wording. As soon as DWP receive updated information and it is passed on to NMC we will share it.
This process is going to happen but do remember NMC are here to support you through these changes.